Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Quotes

AdamRogers: Giora, that was one of my first really professional gigs, it was my first touring gig, and I got it from my studying and knowing how to play classical guitar. He plays Klezmer music, Jewish folk music, with a classical approach. That was an amazing experience. He's got one of the most incredible sounds on the clarinet and he's a phenomenal musician. He can play pianissimo (quiet) with such intensity that it's mind- blowing. He taught me a great deal about music. When the bassist and I would be asked to play your average Jewish folk rhythm, he would stop us and say, "You have to approach playing that rhythm, which is on the surface quite simple; with the same intensity you would approach playing Mozart. A very heavy concept. What he was saying was one of the most profound things. First of all, never play on automatic pilot, always really mean what you're doing, and also choose your approach. You don't just play music without thinking about it. This is also a guy who doesn't improvise, he interprets melodies. It was a very helpful lesson to somebody who's trying to be a jazz musician.

No comments:

Post a Comment